Medical Practice Marketing
Strategy, tactics and ideas that could help you dramatically increase your patient numbers.
How can you get the best results from your medical practice marketing?
“There’s no point in studying medicine if you can’t find a patient.” – William Ostler.
There’s no point in having medical practice if you don’t have the right marketing systems in place to attract and capture patients.
Medical practice marketing has changed so much in the last 10 years, most practices are struggling to come to terms with it.
How has medical practice marketing changed?
This statistic sums up the changes perfectly:
Up to 90% of people will visit your website before contacting you. – Hubspot 2014
Patients demand more information about your services and they go online to find it. How successful website and online marketing works is getting increasingly complex. For example:
Search Engine Optimisation – Over 50 factors must be taken into consideration when you are optimising a single page on your website. Each of the 50 factors may have another two or three important points to consider.
Google – Makes an estimated 500-600 changes to its algorithm a year that may affect your search engine positioning, website traffic and your practice’s revenue – Moz research 2015.
Social Media – Over 65% of medical practices are now using social media. But most practices don’t have a plan in place that includes:
- Alignment with practice strategy
- Content plan for the next 6-12 months
- Crisis responses or a risk management plan to combat negative comments
- Budget – Money, human resources and time requirements
- Plan to grow social media following
- Measure and report success factors and areas for improvement
Other compelling website statistics to add to this discussion include:
Of the people who visit your website, 98% of them won’t contact you the first time they use it!
People will visit 3 of your competitor’s websites before making a decision!
What if you could increase the number of patients that contact you?
What difference would it make if you could increase your patient numbers by as little as 1% to 3% per month?
That could mean a 12% – 36% difference to your practice’s revenue at the end of the year!
So what steps can you take to optimise your medical practice’s marketing efforts?
Step 1: Layout what you want to achieve – Strategy and plan
Map out answers to these questions with your team:
- Asses your current marketing efforts and your practices mission and goals
- What are your practices main services and strengths?
- What is your yearly marketing budget?
- How is your practice different or unique?
- What specific goals do you want to accomplish through your marketing efforts?
- Who are your target audience/s?
- What will be the best way to reach your target audience?
- What results do you need to show to your stakeholders?
1. In your marketing highlight your practice benefits from a patients perspective. For example – We have extended practice hours to help accommodate busy working families or we hold specialised education clinics for diabetics.
2. Integrate your marketing plan with your business and financial goals and create a clear brand and message.
3. Ensure your marketing plans have goals, timeframe, budget and measurement mechanisms.
4. Your marketing should focus on what your patients really care about when choosing you. Focus on their problems, frustrations, annoyances, and confusion that they have when dealing with your speciality. Some may include:
- Pain management
- Appointment waiting times
Step 2: Optimise your website or build a better one
With up to 90% of people checking your website before contacting you it makes perfect sense to have a great website that drives patients to you.
If you don’t know what features your medical practice’s website should have I recommend signing up to receive this: